Dream Catcher

Google
 
Web dreams-are-yours-to-share.blogspot.com
wariorsandwars.blogspot.com

Monday, June 25, 2007

How Can You Pay-It-Forward?

?

How can you make a difference? Dare to dream . . . It doesn’t take as much as you think. It doesn’t have to be a big thing.

When I first moved to my neighborhood, everyone waved. And then 9-11 came around and everyone seemed to have blinders on . . . One day I decided to change that. And for three years I waved to everyone, finally they waved again. Now if you drive down my road, people will wave to you.

The things that mean the most are the small things . . .

I’m a writer, I work from home. I grow my hair for Locks of Love. It takes two years to grow fourteen inches, but it’s something I can do to help a child.

They sell my hair for wigs and the money they get they use to make wigs for Cancer children. With Chemo treatments they lose their hair . . . You see, one of the hardest things for a cancer patient is the loss of hair, the embarrassment.

My Pay-It-Forward quest began, one day after my mom died I was taking my boy to live with my father. Dad wasn’t doing so well and my son wanted to go to a school close to him to be a automechanic, so I put the two together . . . Anyway, we were going to my Dad’s, my boy was driving his car and I had my truck. It was Easter and I was so sad, thinking of mom. I started to cry, I couldn’t control it.

When we hit the Illinois border, I stopped to pay toll. The attendant said, “Go on, someone’s already paid for you.”

In all my days, no one has ever done that for me. And I thought and thought as I sped away. Did someone see how sad I was? Did someone reach out to me?

Was it that car or the one farther up? I didn’t know . . . So what can I do? And then it dawned on me . . . At the next booth I gave the attendant a five, pay for everyone behind me, until the money’s gone, I said. And I did that for every booth I hit that day.

And I remember that when I drove away, someone sped by smiling, laughing and waving at me and everyone else too.

Now you may wonder, what can you do? Maybe help an older neighbor, donate food to a food pantry of just talk to someone that may need a friend. When you’re looking for to help, you’ll be surprised at what you’ll find.


Dan Hanosh
Dreams are yours to Share

My Books: The World Outside My Window, AuthorHouse, 2004

Soon to come, Sleepless Nights


My Poetry at poemhunter.com


My Other Links: Dreams Are Yours To Share
Warriors and Wars
The Moon Also Rises
This Side Of Midnight
Dan’s Room 2 Write


Copyright © 2007 by Dan Hanosh. All rights reserved.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: