Dream Catcher

Google
 
Web dreams-are-yours-to-share.blogspot.com
wariorsandwars.blogspot.com

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Because parents need to know - Part 4




Part 4 . . . . Doctor Death, captain of the dream team

I woke up with peace in my heart . . . And I knew my little family and me, we get through this thing together.

Our doctor referred us to Dr. King, a surgeon from Froedtert hospital. We called, made an appointment for the next day . . . When CANCER is involved, Doctors move very quickly. . . . I was surprised.

At Froedtert, we parked in a four story parking structure. And made our way to the elevators, our car was on the daisy level. Daisies you laugh . . . The speakers were blasting out Doris Day singing her rendition of “Please don’t eat the daisies.” And I couldn’t help smiling. It eased my mind just a little.

I remember crossing the walkway and feeling my throat tighten, I wanted to scream, to run and hide. I watched all the others crowd into that tunnel maze, no one knowing where they were or where they going, they just did.

I remember pushing the up button and waiting forever waiting. Everyone crowding in and I wondered . . . What terminal disease did they have?

We sat in the outer waiting room for what seemed like a life time and then I thought maybe it was . . . My boys. Finally someone lead us through the big double doors, into one of the many small examining rooms. My son sat first, and then my wife, I stood.

And shortly the doctor came in, a thin man, youthful thirty-five or so. His name was Dr. King. Heather, his assistant was with him.

“Where did you go to school?” I asked trying to make myself at ease.
“Iowa,” he said proudly.
“A Hawkeye, eh?”
“Yes . . . “ he said, rather surprised I knew.
“We used to live in Des Moines.”

Then and there my boy coined his handle, doctor death. That’s when I knew my baby boy was scared. He was scared of the surgery and I was too.

The doctor explained my boy’s sarcoma for us. He told us that he wanted him to go through Chemo and radiation. A regiment, it was a nationally recognized procedure for his type of CANCER. I felt a little comforted in that doctors had a standardized plan of attack.

“Maybe we’re not the first, the only this has ever happened to?” I thought to myself.

Then he explained why he wanted my son to go through hell’s gate . . . He said it would reduce the margins of the tumor. So when he operated he would be able to cut all the ugliness from my baby’s body.


Dan Hanosh
Dreams are yours to Share

Because parents need to know - Part 1 . . .

Because parents need to know - Part 2 . . .

Because parents need to know - Part 3 . . .


My Books: The World Outside My Window, AuthorHouse, 2004
Soon to come, Sleepless Nights



Links: Dreams Are Yours To Share
Warriors and Wars
dhanosh writingup
Dan Hanosh poemhunter.com
Dan’s Room 2 Write


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Dan,

I am so glad your son survived his cancer. You and I both lived through the ordeal of a close family member having cancer last year. My dad was not so lucky. He passed away December 5. I'm still not able to write about it. But someday, my mind will clear, and I will find the words.

Julie