Dream Catcher

Google
 
Web dreams-are-yours-to-share.blogspot.com
wariorsandwars.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 21, 2007

What do you read?

?

When I first started reading all those years ago, I never read fiction. I thought of it as untruths. How wrong I was. And so I was sidetracked reading all the help my career books I could, so much to learn, just to get ahead.

And then one day while on vacation, I read Hemingway’s “For Whom The Bell Tolls,” and I was hooked. To be honest, I didn’t know why. Never in my wildest thoughts, would I ever think of being a writer.

And so it goes, . Nothing’s unreachable unless you let it . . .

All those years ago, I started fiction with Hemingway, Poe, Steinbeck, Fitzgerald. And then came Capote, Bellow, Cooper, Crane, Kipling, Remarque.

And I graduated to the likes of Dinesen, Dostoevsky, Faulkner, Salinger. And always looking for a gem hidden deeply in a book and its pages, always looking for that repressive truth.

And then I found my first answer . . . Truth can only be had where it isn’t expected. We expect it in newspapers, history books, speeches, and the like. And so many times it remains aloof. But I found it in the pages of great works of fiction . . . And there’s a reason maybe you already know? A writer writes from his heart, his soul, what he knows. Ay, there’s the rub . . .

Fiction usually isn’t flashy with names and dates but captures a thought a feeling an emotion. A piece written a hundred years before will give a reader an attitude of a social order of sorts, maybe hint at a cause, a culture or a reason for war. And hidden between the lines is those hidden thoughts all authors try to hide.

And so I read and keep on reading. So many don’t read anymore . . . That’s too bad for them. And still I haven’t read Conrad, Stegner, Tolstoy, Chekhov, Melville, Hawthorne, Stein, and so many others . . . But I will, eventually.


Dan Hanosh
Dreams are yours to Share

My Books: The World Outside My Window, AuthorHouse, 2004

Soon to come, Sleepless Nights


My Poetry at poemhunter.com


My Other Links: Dreams Are Yours To Share
Warriors and Wars
The Moon Also Rises
This Side Of Midnight
Dan’s Room 2 Write


Copyright © 2007 by Dan Hanosh. All rights reserved.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: